Blog Archive

Search

Friday, August 27, 2010

Skill sets..

1. I need to develop better visualization skills. Perhaps learning to communicate by drawing alone is a good way to do this. 'The back of the Napkin' is also a good place to start. I should try to implement this whenever I am explaining something to someone. Eg. draw a map to give directions.

2. I need to communicate what is in may head more clearly, perhaps by thinking more about what i am about to say and how I am going to say it.

3.learn another language or become better at a language I know. People are more receptive when they hear familiar sounds.

All of these i guess can be done realistically by the end of semester. Except 3. that requires more time.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your analogy with the transportation system. I can see that you are trying to say that the core of a bus is to take you from point A to point B. This is similar to how engineers at the core can solve problems. Busing from one point to another is sufficient for some people but not the entire population. Our MTD buses have GPS to supply commuters with near accurate arrival times. Every now and then, I see bus drivers telling them which is the correct bus to take them back to FAR. Because of these additional components, it becomes highly compatible with the general population. Not everyone in the world is an engineer and being able to communicate and market to the people as an engineer is a big step to being successful. A well-rounded transportation system is like a well-rounded engineer; people like them because they are able to work on a “common” level. “Common” level is where the general public is able to understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually agree with both of you, I think engineers need to constantly translate not only their thoughts, but also their inventions to make it easier for the layman to use. Apple Inc. has proved time and again that people want simple, easy to use interfaces. Anyone who's tried programming their VCR knows just how frustrating not understanding technology can be. In translating their ideas and inventions, engineers can ensure that the technological breakthroughs they come out with are actually useful to the general public - that they actually fulfill their charge as an engineer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best way to communicate better, is to really slow down and stop to think about what you are going to say. that usually does the trick for me

    ReplyDelete