Blog Archive

Search

Friday, October 8, 2010

Uncertainty,Toulmin and Modelling

A model is a simplified notion or representation of reality. This makes it very important.
Consider the concept of flight
Now consider these:


 
If you had to explain flight to someone who had no idea of the concept you might use a paper plane, a model plane, a diagram or show them an airliner or a bird. These would all then be models of varying complexity and accuracy for the same idea.  The concept of flight as we might naturally see it, in birds for example, is such a complex one that we cannot understand it straight away.  In order to understand it we try to emulate it. However it is far too complex to 'copy' exactly and this is why we need simplified models.

Basically, what I understand as the reason modeling is indispensably important is because:
a)      Nothing in this world is perfect or ideal
b)     Many things are immeasurably complex

As a result of this, we find that uncertainty is everywhere. In my previous blog I started with the premise that to be an engineer is to be a problem solver. This applies itself to the concept of modeling very well.

What is a problem?
In my opinion it is anything which hinders the achievement of an objective.
Now if we cannot exactly determine this ‘thing’, what it is or how it operates because of the above mentioned uncertainty, then how do we solve the problem and achieve the objective?
Interestingly enough, this is a problem in its own right.
The answer I am getting to is modeling, but to demonstrate I will use Toulmin’s model to argue this.



Toulmin’s model for argumentation gives us a less complex, easier to understand view of what makes a convincing argument and in so doing helps to breakdown why something happens the way it does. This in turn makes it a very useful tool to solve problems through modeling.
As engineers, to deal with and solve problems we must embrace paradox and uncertainty. Modeling lets us do this by helping us to understand problems and lets us see details that we otherwise might not be able to see. It enables us to link things that may otherwise seem unrelated by providing a systematic, structured process for problem solving (this is how we can apply math to a problem; because of structure it follows certain rules). By simplifying a problem and looking only at its core components through modeling, we can ask "what would happen if?". Modeling in many cases is also easier and cheaper to do than emulating actual phenomena (if it can be done at all). In essence modeling turns a problem we do not understand into a simpler one we do understand so that we as engineers can solve problems better.

5 comments:

  1. I really liked your modeling of flight. I've never quite broken it down like that. I also really enjoyed how you connected your last blog in this blog.
    Your ideas were very similar to what we discussed in lecture. I believe that modeling is useful in any subject area as long as you have to convey information a model can generally be used to get the information across quickly and easily.

    Are there times when modeling makes a concept more complex? Don't you have to base your type of model on the audience you are presenting it to?

    Good job relating everything back to engineering and summarizing your thoughts well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Anant,

    That was really good. I like how you broke down flight and how there are so many ways to model something in means of trying to explain it. I have no idea why but I feel like this somehow is connected to our poor steam car, but yeah.

    I like how you chose a problem that relates more to engineering itself than something in everyday life. You put a lot of though into it.

    I guess my question is, how do you know when to model, and what type of model to use for your ideas? Can models me made more complex and some kept simple? (I'm not a huge model person so I'm genuinely curious)

    HAPPY FRIDAY!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job!
    I love your plane model too!You just explain why model is so important and how did it develope to help us better understand complex problems.

    I agree with you that "n Nothing in this world is perfect or ideal and Many things are immeasurably complex".

    The truth is,while we are doing a project,we will start from a small unit and this unit requires detail(We can't use model at this time) but when it comes asselmble,it is no longer need the detail of every unit since it has only a limited influence to our whole project.At this time,model can be very useful since it simply the project.


    I have a question about your Toulmin Modelling.I can't find your rebuttal.Though it is not required,but how do you know it is true in all condition,there must be some exceptions. So I personally suggest you add a rebuttal.

    Good job and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Sorry,I didn't mean to post my comment twice. I just want to make sure my comment is posted. Because last time when I pressed "Post Comment" button,the comment wasn't posted.So,please refresh many times after you published your comment.Sometimes you see it immediately being displayed after you click the button,but when you refresh it just gone. )



    Great Job!
    I love your plane model too!You just explain why model is so important and how did it develope to help us better understand complex problems.

    I agree with you that "n Nothing in this world is perfect or ideal and Many things are immeasurably complex".

    The truth is,while we are doing a project,we will start from a small unit and this unit requires detail(We can't use model at this time) but when it comes asselmble,it is no longer need the detail of every unit since it has only a limited influence to our whole project.At this time,model can be very useful since it simply the project.


    I have a question about your Toulmin Modelling.I can't find your rebuttal.Though it is not required,but how do you know it is true in all condition,there must be some exceptions. So I personally suggest you add a rebuttal.

    Good job and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anant,

    That was an outstanding definition of a model, inarguably the best I have come across till now. I’m surprised to see how you explained the concept of flight in such an amazingly simple manner.

    Everything just fits in beautifully into your model. You’ve got a sound argument and I completely agree with your claim. I cannot even possibly think of anything wrong with your model. You have an excellent backing as well. It shows how important models actually are. Breaking down a problem into simpler components definitely makes it easier to understand and solve.

    Even though I don’t see the point of using a prezi for this post, I’m totally impressed by your creativity; you’ve definitely put in a lot of effort for this blog post. Seems like creative people do it with models haha ;-)

    Shivam Kundan

    ReplyDelete